Wednesday 5 September 2018

Ramses Rat's V.I.P

Ramses Rat's V.I.P.:  Object Post 93


Source? The Egyptians built it
Significance? It gave Ramses a sense of importance
Fate? It’s still there, probably inhabited by some of Ramses’ descendants
Author’s inspiration? Why not?
Appeared in? Ramses Rat and the Great Cat Bastet

***
I was born in a nest in a V.I.P
When Ramses Rat was a ratling, his mother did her best to instil in him a sense of pride, place and purpose. She succeeded. Part of Ramses’ sense of consequence was the fact that he was born in a V.I.P., or Very Important Pyramid. Ramses never told which one it was, but presumably it was one of the big ones.
As Ramses put it:
I was happy there with my brothers and sisters. There was plenty of food and some old linen to chew into a cosy bed. Now my mother had new ratlets to look after. That meant I had to find a new home.   ‘Goodbye, Ramses,’ said my mother. ‘It’s time for you to make your way in the world. Remember this. There is a time to fight, and also a time to run. A wise rat learns to tell the difference. You are as good as any rat and better than some. You were born in a Very Important Pyramid.’  ‘I’ll remember, Mother,’ I said.  ‘See that you do,’ she said. ‘Become a wise rat. Then you will live well and prosper.’
‘What if I don’t become a wise rat?’ I asked.  ‘Then you won’t live long and you won’t prosper,’ said my mother.  I decided right then that I would become a wise rat.

As Ramses sought his new home, he ran against some unpleasant rats that tried to cow him. Ramses wasn’t having that.

‘I am not a lesser rat,’ I said to myself. ‘I am Ramses Rat. I am as good as any rat and better than some. I was born in a V.I.P.’ I turned and ran back to the tunnel.


Ramses faced a great deal of danger and discomfort, but he kept his head high. After all, he was born in a V.I.P. and he never forgot it.

Ramses Rat's V.I.P. appears in Ramses Rat and the Great Cat Bastet

ABOUT THE BLOG


Sally is Sally Odgers; author, anthologist and reader. You can find you way into her maze of websites and blogs via the portal here.(Sally is me, by the way.)

The goal for 2017 was to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. 2017 is well behind us, but I ran out of year before running out of books. As of June 2018 I STILL hadn't run out of books, but many of those still to come are MIA by which I mean I don't have copies and remember little about them. There are more new books in the pipeline, and I'm certainly showcasing those, but in between times, I'm profiling some of my characters, places and objects. Thank you so much to everyone who's come along on this journey so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading