Monday 9 July 2018

Amy Day's Green Book

Amy Day's Green Book : Object Post 36



Source? A birthday gift for Amy’s thirteenth birthday
Significance? Amy uses it to write the story that sends her to Ankooria
Fate? Unrecorded, but it’s likely Amy kept it.
Author’s inspiration? I was given a green book I wanted to use for something special. Pity my handwriting’s so bad
First appearance? Amy Amaryllis

Along with a Walkman and a new shirt, Amy Day was given a beautiful green-bound book with gold-edged pages for her thirteenth birthday. She was most impressed, and she considered how best to use it in such a way that its beauty would be preserved.
She chose to use it to write a story about a girl who bore a romanticised version of her plain everyday name and who lived in an actual castle…
Although Amy didn’t know it, a girl named Amaryllis Loveday had also been given a fine book (although she called it a ledger) and had also begun to write a story about a girl who bore a simplified version of her name and who lived in a simple village. Inevitably, Amy Day woke up in a billowy feather bed, graced with long braids and frilled clothing, whereas Amaryllis encountered a grumpy boy who looked like her brother but who eyed her with grave suspicion and tried to drown her.
The moral of that story is probably not to use beautiful green books with gold pages as a repository for stories.



ABOUT THE BLOG

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, anthologist and reader. You can find you way into her maze of websites and blogs via the portal here.(Sally is me, by the way.)


The goal for 2017 was to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. 2017 is well behind us, but I ran out of year before running out of books. As of June 2018 I STILL hadn't run out of books, but many of those still to come are MIA by which I mean I don't have copies and remember little about them. There are more new books in the pipeline, and I'm certainly showcasing those, but in between times, I'm profiling some of my characters, places and objects. Thank you so much to everyone who's come along on this journey so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading