Sunday 10 June 2018

Calico Calypso

Calico Calypso. Book Post 420

Calico Calypso is one of the multi-author "summer short" series for 2018. (That's the northern hemisphere summer, but it doesn't have to be SET in June, just have something to do with summer.)
Like all my shorts (Christmas and Summer) to date, this one is part of the ongoing Fairy in the Bed series and, like all but the first one, it sprang from a connection with one or more of the others. In The Kissing Ring, one of the longest to date, set in the 1980s, Tom Merriweather spent time in the Over Here B&B while working with his father on the plans for Peckerdale Grene Tower. The B&B was run by an eccentric young couple, Mal and LeeLee Grene, and LeeLee's two brothers also do shifts at Reception. One day, late in the book, Tom encountered Kris, the elder and more withdrawn brother, in Reception with a calico cat draped around his neck. There was some small mystery about this cat, and Tom eventually found out something about it. He didn't learn the whole truth though, partly because that was his and Ryl's story and partly because I didn't know it myself.
   I decided to write the story of how Kris first met his cat, and it seemed the perfect chance for a summer short. 
   So, step back to the summer of 1986 when Kris, who is nearing thirty, is feeling increasingly disconnected from his life and his lively family.
   Quite apart from Kris and Calico (not to speak of Calypso), this story introduces another character named Deek Caffrey. Deek is one of those odd characters who just... happens. I didn't plan him, and I was pretty surprised at the way he turned out. So far this is his only appearance, but who knows, maybe one day I might pick him up again in or out of 1986 and see what he's up to. 
Calico Calypso, (which shares the same cover image with the other stories in the summer short series) is available as an ebook from this link. Like all the Fairy in the Bed series, this one is 18+.


ABOUT THE BLOG

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, anthologist and reader. You can find you way into her maze of websites and blogs via the portal here.(Sally is me, by the way.)
The goal for 2017 was to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. 2017 is well behind us, but I ran out of year before running out of books. As of May 2018 I STILL hadn't run out of books, but many of those still to come are MIA by which I mean I don't have copies and remember little about them. There are more new books in the pipeline, and I'm certainly showcasing those, but in between times, I'm profiling some of my characters, places and objects. Thank you so much to everyone who's come along on this journey so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading