Wednesday 14 June 2017

Tiger Trail

Welcome to Sally's book-a-day-for-2017 blog. If unfamiliar with the blog, scroll down.

Tiger Trail (2001) Post 165

Tiger Trail is a told-in-journal-entries story about young Cassandra whose dad has brought them to Tasmania on a hunt for the Tasmanian tiger or thylacine. Cassandra details Dad's efforts as a committed Tiger-maniac as they travel in the Tiger Mobile, visiting various sites and possibly helpful people. The story has maps and facts and quite a lot of Cassandra's wryly affectionate opinions of Dad and his fellow Tiger-maniacs. Finally they meet an old timer who tells them the story of how he used to see thylacines when he was a boy. Old Mr Holland's story is true; it was told to me by a WW1 veteran back in 2000 when I was doing a residency at Eliza Purton Home for the Aged. I no longer remember his name, but I remember his stories, and this is just one of them.
The pen name I used on this story is Sara Chen. I don't remember where the Chen came from, but Sara is a version of my real first name.

About the Blog 


Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service, leave me a message.

2 comments:

  1. That book sounds like a great way to give young students a history lesson!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading