Monday 12 June 2017

The Hoop Snake

Welcome to Sally's book-a-day-for-2017 blog. If unfamiliar with the blog, scroll down.

The Hoop Snake (2001) Post 163

The Hoop Snake is the story of Charles, a newly-arrived "pommy new chum" and Aussie Greg, who entertains himself by winding Charles up with tall tales of school and the mythical hoop snake. Charles gets his revenge, but regrets it and puts things right.

The story is set in the 1950s, which is just beyond my memory. Although I can't remember the '50s, I remember the aftermath. Our desks at school had holes for the inkwells used just a few years previously, people still talked about pommies, new chums, New Australians, since the war, and going home. I never did write with a pen nib, but a few of them lingered at home in drawers along with hair ribbons, odd buttons and fuse wire. As for the hoop snake, old timers still used that as a leg-pull. It was a time of the wireless, hard school shoes, Orlon cardigans and petticoats. So, although I cannot remember the 1950s, I remember its reflection...

About the Blog 


Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service, leave me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading