Tuesday 6 June 2017

Bushland Lullaby


Welcome to Sally's book-a-day-for-2017 blog. If unfamiliar with the blog, scroll down.

Bushland Lullaby (2012) Post 157

Bushland Lullaby is one of my favourites among my picture books. It went through several versions while I was writing it, but ended up as a simple rhyming text celebrating the going-to-sleep of Australian animal babies. Each segment has four lines with an aa/bb rhyme. The challenge with very short texts at this level is to avoid too many too-obvious rhymes while not being too complex for the small listeners. One by one, the bush babies go to sleep in their own environment, and the story ties off with a human child doing the same. The book is illustrated in soft pastels by Lisa Stewart. I especially love the picture of the dingoes which is reproduced below. As of 2017, this book is still in print.
ISBN-10 174283177X 
ISBN-13 9781742831770

Excerpt-
On the windy plain beyond the town
Where grass grows rough and rustling brown
The sun gives way to cool moonbeams
And little Emu’s chasing dreams.



About the Blog 


Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service, leave me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading