Friday 19 May 2017

That's Enough

Welcome to Sally's book-a-day-for-2017 blog. If unfamiliar with the blog, scroll down.

That's Enough (Post 139)

That's Enough (1989), is a picture book based on the simple premise of a boy who is supposed to be keeping his little sister out of trouble. He wants to read his book, so when she asks if she can build a cubby house in the living room, he agrees... as long as she doesn't make a mess. The cubby house grows as ever more items are added, and with every addition our hero lifts his gaze briefly from his book to say, "That's enough," before "I went back to my book." The adding of each new item is preceded with a cumulative roll-call of the earlier items, and there is a kind of casual rhyme and rhythm as the metropolis rolls on. It's not until Little Sister adopts "my pet puppy" as "her cubby house guard" that the boy really reacts... by visiting her in her castle.

That's Enough is about tenacity, the addictive nature of reading, lip-service to discipline and getting long lines read out aloud without gasping for breath. It's quite fun. There's a very interesting quote on the back of the book from the illustrator. I'd quite forgotten that until I got out the book to photograph the cover for this blog.

About the Blog 


Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service, leave me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading