Sunday 23 December 2018

Colliding Worlds 2: Unicorn Pearl

Colliding Worlds 2: Unicorn Pearl

I love to play with colliding worlds. It sounds violent, but it's just another name for networlds. I write quite a lot of stories in different series, genres and at different levels. Sometimes, just for fun, I let my worlds collide.

Pearl the Magical Unicorn is a children's series I write. In it, Pearl the unicorn and her friends Olive and Tweet embody friendship and can-do in the Kingdom. I'm fond of Pearl.
When I invented Tash Vasiliev, the "feral ferret in a tutu" as her dad affectionately refers to her, for a fantasy romance called Man Overboard, I arranged for her step-uncle, Zach, to recall her fifth birthday party - saying to Nikolai...

"You have a five-year-old. I distinctly remember attending a Pearl the Magical Unicorn party which featured five candles on a cake.” 

That's the only mention of Pearl in that book, but she pops up again, obliquely, in A Little Bit Pisky, my work in progress as of December 2018. In this story, Nanette Fanshaw's self-possessed third daughter Paola has a stuffed Unicorn Pearl which accompanies her just about everywhere. Nanette reflects that when Paola's baby sister is born, bringing the Fanshaw girls to a total of four, Unicorn Pearl will have to give up her car seat.

So that's it. Maybe one day, a parent whose child has the Pearl series might encounter Tash's party or Paola's cuddle-companion and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading