Monday 8 April 2019

The Hero's Road

The Hero's Road is probably the name of a philosophical construct; the hero journey of a character. In Betony's case, it was a real physical challenge.
Here she is, about to take a leap of faith...


They came down another sweeping path to what Betony dimly perceived to be a pile of scattered rock.
“What’s that?” she asked.
“We call it an t-slighe gaisgeil… the hero road.”
“It doesn’t look much like a road.”
“It’s a one we take on trust. It can be trodden only at the low of the tide and only at a guid speed.”
“And you think I’m going to run across a heap of rock and water in the dark.”
“I do, my bonny. Come! Trust me?”
She squeezed his hand. “I trust you. Well, at least if I die I’ll never have to go home.”
He made no answer, but helped her up onto the tumble of rock.
Betony looked down at the heaving dark water, and the dark hump of rock a metre away.
Here goes…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading