Tuesday 15 August 2017

The Untold Story of Ms Mirabella

Welcome to Sally's book-a-day-for-2017 blog. If unfamiliar with the blog, scroll down.

The Untold Story of Ms Mirabella (2013) (Post 228)


The Untold Story of Ms Mirabella is another short book I did for an educational publisher. I was given the title and a word count. 

Rosalyn and William's teacher, Ms Mirabella, sets them an assignment about running. They decide to do some research by talking to Rosalyn's Uncle Mike who is running a big race. They go along to watch him run, and who should they see but Ms Mirabella, who is also competing in the race.

The kids learn a few things about prejudices and the reader, with luck, learns a few things about fitness and endeavour. There is no supposition that Ms Mirabella expects to win, or even to place, but she's out there at sixty-plus having a go. 

The story was inspired by my husband's and my entries in the City2Surf race for three consecutive years. We didn't run together, because he was a lot faster than I was. We started together and parted company at the foot of Heartbreak Hill. For a while there I was running alongside one of the Legends, a gentleman who had run every single City2Surf since its inception. On another race (we entered three times) I ran alongside a man who looked like the Dalai Lama. He was having a wonderful time. another time I ran near a father who was coaching his young daughter through the fourteen km. It was great fun, and I enjoyed reliving the experience with Ms Mirabella.


ABOUT THE BLOG


Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading