Reading for pleasure is of value for kids (in my opinion) for at least the following reasons:
· It’s a quiet activity. With all the noise going on, a bit of silence is good for the soul.
· It’s a quiet activity. Parents and other carers run ragged with noise and fuss welcome it when kids can sit quietly and read.
· It’s portable. If you have a book and sufficient light, you don’t need to be “connected”.
· Kids can choose their own kind of story. A reader might be absorbing something that is of no interest to the rest of the family.
· Reading can be taken as, when, as fast, as slow… as required.
· Reading probably gives children a wider range of examples of personality and themes than most other media.
· Books read and enjoyed in childhood can be revisited later. They often also live on in readers’ memories as childhood friends.