Monday 4 March 2019

The Plural of Halo

I never expected to need a plural for halo, but as some alert readers may have noticed, I'm writing a series of photo-and-poem books this year. Mum would have loved them, but as she's been gone for nearly nine years I'm giving a copy of each one to her cousin and almost-sister, who is 90 and still very much with us.
Anyway, March's theme is Memory Lane, and today I fetched up near the memorial hall and recalled a memory that dealt with halos/haloes - halo in plural. I wrote halos without thinking, and then later I put haloes. Then I looked at them and wondered. So I looked up the plural and guess what? They're both right. So there. However, I consider consistency a virtue so I excised the e from the second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading