Tuesday 4 July 2017

Lodestone

Welcome to Sally's book-a-day-for-2017 blog. If unfamiliar with the blog, scroll down.


Lodestone (2016) Post 185

Lodestone is another anthology from Prints Charming Books, ringmastered, edited and compiled by me. This time, the stories are mostly for older readers--YA and adults. Authors were given a premise, invented by me, and challenged to write stories or poems to string on a loose narrative. I made a list of places and times (often iconic) and let authors choose a time/place combination as a setting.
The story starts in prehistoric times, when the lodestone, a piece of magnetic rock, first surfaces. The premise is that the lodestone enters the life of a protagonist, brings about a significant change in outlook or circumstance, and is then lost, handed on or abandoned. It is found or acquired by someone else, and the cycle resumes.

When the authors had selected their settings and written their pieces, I strung them along the timeline narrative. There were significant gaps, so I filled those with stories of my own. As usual with these odd anthologies, there was a lot of work in coordination, but the result is satisfactory. This time around the artwork and design was donated by Hayley Designs. You can see how the anthology came together by visiting http://www.printscharmingbooks.com/lodestone.html and, as usual, buy copies via any contributor.


About the Blog 


Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service, leave me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading