Saturday 28 October 2017

Summer at Drought Palace


Summer at Drought Palace  (2008 Post 302)
Summer at Drought Palace is one of my reading scheme titles. The theme was water conservation. I always try to make "theme" books like this one entertaining, so meet Alinda, Emby and Rollo Cranberry, whose mum has gone to China on a cultural exchange and whose dad takes them to Grey Bluff Lake for a holiday. All does not go according to plan, as drought means the shacks at Grey Bluff Lake are on restricted water. No long showers, the toilet doesn't flush and hair has to be washed in a bucket. Emby and Rollo enjoy a contest to use the least water, Dad goes fishing and teenaged Alinda suffers withdrawal from her mobile (no service) and all her general comforts. The family meets Amanda Barton-Boote, who has a drought-proof garden. Her advice fascinates Emby, and comes in very useful when they return home (full of plans for long hot showers) and discover - guess what? - water restrictions!
I think I named the Cranberry family after a band my daughter liked, and I based the weird landscape around Grey Bluff Lake on the Great Lake in Tasmania. Amanda Barton-Boote, in her younger days, was a character in Timothy Whuffenpuffen-Whippersnapper, (Post 72).


ABOUT THE BLOG

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading