Friday 27 October 2017

Elysian Games

Elysian Games  (2012 Post 301)


Elysian Games is one of my earlier Lark Westerly titles; a comedy romance that's intended for people over eighteen. It was born of my habit of using stuff I happen to know in my writing, just because I happen to know it and find it interesting.

Way, way back, my parents got me a subscription to magazines called Treasure and Look and Learn and Tell Me Why and World of Wonder; not all at the same time. One of them had a series called Tales From Many Lands, which included Greek and Roman myths. I picked up far more than I possibly should have about these doughty beings. One of the stories I recall is that of Atalanta. I decided for some reason to bring that basic story up to date. Thus was born Elysian Games. Instead of Melanion being the Greek suitor of Princess Atalanta, we have Mel, the computer nerd, the upstairs neighbour of a fitness fanatic. This Atalanta's only use for Mel is to have him water her orchid when she's away. Mel, on the other hand, has a far more personal interest. He also has a comedy sidekick named Herc, whose identity probably can't be aired in this blog. If you have a broad mind, a sense of humour and a taste for puns, here's the blurb!

Atalanta (fastest woman east or west of the Rockies) is the upstairs neighbor of the long-suffering Mel. Atalanta wants a casual relationship and someone to water her orchid when she’s training. Mel wants Atalanta, preferably naked and horizontal. Mel’s efforts in this direction involve some very virtual reality.

Through Mel’s machinations, Atalanta finds herself in a training camp in ancient Greece, where she is must marry the athlete who can beat her in a race. The lusty lads are all super-speedy, so Atalanta sets about her own Elysian Games. She’s sure she can prevail if only she can discover each man’s sexual Achilles heel.

While Atalanta engages with Greeks, Mel is beavering in the background to make his dreams of unlimited pussy-worship come true.


Elysian Games is available as an ebook from eXtasy Books and also from Amazon and a few other places.
What can I say? Blame it on the magazine subscriptions I had when I was nine.

ABOUT THE BLOG

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service.

2 comments:

  1. 'Lark Westerly' sure has some naughty ideas, and they sound like jolly romps for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lark is a hussy, but a good time is had by all - except in her horror stories, but she doesn't write those any more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading