Tuesday 3 October 2017

Picture a Poem

Picture a Poem (2000) Post 277



Picture a Poem by Sally Odgers
Picture a Poem is a non-fiction title; one of a pair I wrote which were published together. The second one was Story Strategies. There was a third one too, but although I submitted a proposal, nothing came of it.

Picture a Poem is based on workshops and techniques I've developed over many years of helping children (and adults) to write various types of poetry. It was translated into German (which must have been interesting...) and was quite popular. When it went out of print, I had quite a few requests for a new copy, but because it was traditionally published, the contract was (and is) still in force even though the book itself is not available. 
As I couldn't help the people who wanted a new copy, I wrote some new books from the ground up (by which I mean I didn't refer to the original at all) as replacements. These books include Writing Metrical Verse and Everything You Want to Know About Writing and More, Much More, (both for adults), How to be an Awesome Author (for children) and (Giving Our Kids) a Reason to Write (for adults to use with children). I have never offered any of these books to trad. publishers, but have self-published them so I can keep them both updated and in print. If anyone wants a copy, either e-pub, PDF or paperback, you can get them from me by leaving me a message in the comments section or contacting me via my www.sallyodgers.weebly.com website.

ABOUT THE BLOG

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)


The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sally, I would love to have PDF versions of those books, to read myself, and to share with members of my writing group, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading