Thursday 20 July 2017

Myths of the Mind

Welcome to Sally's book-a-day-for-2017 blog. If unfamiliar with the blog, scroll down.

Myths of the Mind- 2016- (post 203) 
Myths of the Mind has a subtitle which says it all, really. I started the project in 2012, when I began collecting together some of my fantasy poetry. Despite the title, you won't find existing myth-people here, but characters whose names, stories and attributes I invented myself. When I discovered fiverr and some other similar sites I was able to realise a daydream I'd harboured for a long time; hire illustrators to picture my characters. I hadn't done iT before because I couldn't justify the expense on a project I knew would never be commercial. I should probably add that I am in no way saying illustrators aren't worth their fees; simply that the fees for forty-plus pictures would have added up to something I wouldn't pay. The resulting pictures, costing anything from $6.00 or so to $80.00, are an eclectic bunch, gathered over two periods. I got quite a few in the beginning, but then had a few problems with jobs not being finalised or being misinterpreted. I gave up for a while and then started out again. I also repurposed some pictures intended for another project which I still hope may one day go ahead. If you're interested in seeing the pictures I ended up with, check out my Pinterest board at MYTHS OF THE MIND BOARD. Printing in colour is expensive, (24 pp picture books can attest to that, and this book has far, far more pages than those), but as mentioned before, I always knew this project couldn't be commercial. Nevertheless, I finished and published it, and had a couple of copies printed just for fun. It is truly a poetical pictorial indulgence. Incidentally, I did also produce an ebook which is available HERE for a fiver.

About the Blog 

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service, leave me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading