Thursday 14 September 2017

Dad's New Path

Dad's New Path (1995) Post 258

Dad's New Path by Darrel and Sally Odgers

Dad's New Path is an easy-read story I co-wrote with my husband. He had been making a concrete path, and before it was set, it acquired various footprints. We thought this would make a good basis for a story, and it did. Dad mixes the ingredients (Darrel thought this was good for children to know) Dad makes the path meticulously smooth (as my husband himself would). Then he goes in to put his feet up. A dog spots the path and walks along it. So does a cat. So does a little girl. The path is not what Dad expected to see upon his checking it, so he re-renders it. Satisfied, he goes inside... and that night, a little mouse arrives...


I think we had a cockatoo as the final footprinter, but the editor changed it to a mouse.

ABOUT THE BLOG

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading