Friday 31 May 2019

First Hundred Words - I Promise

I've been playing with the first 100 words of some of my books. To avoid cutting off in the middle of a sentence, I'll go to 100 and then add the rest of the sentence in question. Here's the opening hundred of I Promise

Until she turned seven, on Christmas Eve 2001, Promise Grene loved her name.
It was easy to spell and easy to remember. It was unusual but not peculiar. It could be declaimed, in the style of a Roman emperor or an Asimovian robot. I, Promise! with an appropriate right-hand gesture.
She never did that anymore.
On Christmas Eve, on her seventh birthday, she made a promise to a red-haired boy. She didn’t keep it.
That wasn’t her fault, but she would never make another promise until she kept that one.
Promises were important. That was why her parents had given her that name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading