Saturday 1 April 2017

The Way of the Dragon

Welcome to Sally's book-a-day-for-2017 blog. If unfamiliar with the blog, scroll down.

The Way of the Dragon (Post 91)

The Way of the Dragon (2012) was intended to be the first in a series but as sometimes happens, this never eventuated and it came out as a one-off. A housewife finds a large egg which she decides to cook for supper. When it gets into the warmth of her kitchen, it hatches into a baby dragon. She names the infant Denzil Draggy Waggy, and raises him as a beloved pet- until he starts setting fire to things. Then she banishes him. The poor ex-pet meets a neglected child, and they team up. Their reluctant mentor is a very old dragon who has hibernated for a long time. He wakes when Young Simpkins falls into his cave. All ends happily in the end, after Simpkins and Denzil find the perfect home.
   The Way of the Dragon is an adventure story, but it's also thematically about the dangers of inconsistent nurturing, or no nurturing at all. Then there's Didymous Drake, the old curmudgeon who finds a new interest in life.

When I first saw the cover for this book, I "saw" a dodo. On looking more carefully, I saw the illustration of Simpkins and Denzil peering out through a hole Denzil has burned in a door.  I'd be interested to know what others see! The next oddity is the title. Often I do a google search before titling a book to make sure I haven't made a Replay-(Post 29) type problem. In this case I didn't. Unbelievably, neither I nor anyone else involved noticed we'd used the title of a famous film. Oops. 
About the Blog 
Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service, post a comment and I'll get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading