Monday 25 March 2019

Names of their Times

Names are an endless fascination to me, as regular readers of this blog (if there are any...) will probably know. Names need to be of their place and time, and we tend to notice them if they're out of place. A Kylie in 17th Century London would be unlikely. When I spotted someone called Kim in the cast of an old film, I thought it odd. I looked her up and discovered it was a stage name. She had, as I suspected, been born before Kim became known as a girl's name. Recently I heard of someone younger than I am with a name I'd have placed as being much older... so I looked her up and found she's from a different ethnicity. In fact, I've noticed that before... children given names I place as older are often from another culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading