Sunday 29 July 2018

Tim's Fishhook

Tim's Fishhook: Object Post 56



Source? Either bought with Tim’s pocket money or possibly a gift from his parents
Significance? If aliens hadn’t stolen it, he never would have used his lucky belt buckle as a substitute and if the aliens hadn’t stolen that he never would have become the hero
Fate? It wound up as part of a dragon’s wing on a distant planet
Author’s inspiration? I needed something metal, portable, and likely to be dangled in water
First appearance? Hero (1998)

The next day I rushed down to the creek again. I watched the bees dancing as I cast my line into the water. Snap! The hook had gone.
‘Trout!’ I said.
I had no more hooks, so I used my lucky silver buckle instead.
Snap! The buckle had gone.
‘Follow that trout!’ I yelled and jumped into the creek.

The hero had just moved to a new home with a nearby creek. Dad took him fishing, and told him about bees and their communication, but it was on the morning he went fishing himself that the adventure got underway. His efforts to recover his lucky buckle took  him to a distant planet when he was abducted by aliens with a mission.

Just then the aliens who had kidnapped me rushed into the cave. They hummed and danced around. As they danced, they dropped things on the floor. They dropped my shoe. They dropped my fishhook. They dropped my lucky buckle and the coins.
The aliens danced a happy dance. They put the fishhook, and the buckle and the coins into the pottery bowl on the fire…

The metal-hungry aliens were collecting metal to melt to help a dragon with a broken wing… There was insufficient so Tim, remembering the derelict car on the creek bank, offered help to the aliens and salvation for the dragon.

Tim’s fishhook appears in Hero.





 ABOUT THE BLOG

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, anthologist and reader. You can find you way into her maze of websites and blogs via the portal here.(Sally is me, by the way.)

The goal for 2017 was to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. 2017 is well behind us, but I ran out of year before running out of books. As of June 2018 I STILL hadn't run out of books, but many of those still to come are MIA by which I mean I don't have copies and remember little about them. There are more new books in the pipeline, and I'm certainly showcasing those, but in between times, I'm profiling some of my characters, places and objects. Thank you so much to everyone who's come along on this journey so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading