Saturday 5 May 2018

Tab’s Kaffee Schnapps

Tab’s kaffee schnapps Object Post 6


When we catch up with him in Sunshower, Tabor "Tab" Merriweather is in love with Josefa McCord. He is pretty sure she loves him too (well, she does call him her favourite green tomato) but quite early on in their association, she clapped a "daytime friends" ruling on him. No matter what they are to one another in private, their public relationship must be clearly platonic. 
Tab understands her reasoning (he's eighteen and she's twenty-two) but he doesn't agree with it. Nevertheless, he won't argue too much, in case Josefa breaks things off. 

One day when he meets her from her job at the boutique Recycle Sally's, he suggests going for a coffee. Josefa chooses "that new German place", Fee Kaffee as the venue. As Tab explains, the cafe isn't German but fay, being run by Martina Bless, an alpenfee woman. 

Martina is a family friend and her mischievous comments annoy Josefa so she orders a flat white. Tab asks for kaffee schnapps. 
After a shaky start, Josefa recovers her composure, and regrets her petulant choice of such a pedestrian drink...

Josefa didn’t answer immediately. She sipped her flat white, then reached across and stole his kaffee schnapps. She sipped that and sighed. “I should have had one of these.” 
      "Careful.” 
     She widened her eyes at him and took another sip. “Hey, this is really good. Order me one from your alpenfee girlfriend, would you?” 
      Tab raised his hand, conjured a notepad, scribbled the order and then conjured it back to Martina. 
     Josefa remarked, “That never gets old. What did you mean when you said careful? I can hold my liquor, up to a point, and this has to be legal.” 
     Already regretting that comment, he shrugged. “I just meant you broke your own sister and brother rule.” 
   “So I did.” Her eyes danced at him as she sipped again. “Never.” Sip. “Never.” Sip. “Act like a girlfriend in public.” Sip. “But how do you know I don’t routinely steal my friends’ drinks?” 
      “I don’t. But I don’t think you’d do that.” 
      “You’re right. I don’t."

   This scene, where Josefa defies her own rules, marks a turning point for Tab, but the sailing isn't as plain as he hopes. Tab's kaffee schnapps probably doesn't exist in the real world. At least, I don't think it does!


ABOUT THE BLOG

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, anthologist and reader. She runs  Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)
The goal for 2017 was to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. 2017 is now behind us, but I ran out of year before running out of books. As of February 18th 2018 I STILL haven't run out of books, but many of those still to come are MIA by which I mean I don't have copies and remember little about them. There are more new books to come, and I'll certainly showcase those, but in between times, I'm profiling some of my characters, just for a change. Thank you so much to everyone who's come along on this journey so far! Since April 22nd I'm adding in places and objects!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading