Sunday 27 May 2018

Jory Pendennis' Tutu

Jory Pendennis' Tutu. Object Post 19

Source? Jory acquired it for a job
Significance? It gave Linda some public annoyance and private amusement
Fate? Last seen on Jory in Linda’s Vouch-Safe van, but most likely now in Jory’s closet…unless Laura has appropriated it
Author’s inspiration? A wish for something unusual to appear in an opening and closing scene
First appearance? Pisky Business

“Just drive!” The voice sounded tense, as her passenger bundled in with a flurry of pink tutu and fishnets, slammed the door, and buckled up.
Linda got the van in motion just as the chap in the tutu went off into a gale of laughter. He was clearly a chap, not a chick. Okay, so she had a chap in a tutu in her passenger seat at fifteen minutes to midnight. That figured.

Jory Pendennis’s friend Linda described him as rackety and also as a tomcat. As a person who liked an ordered life, she found Jory, whom she’d known from the cradle, permanently disconcerting, especially when he started turning into a dog. Jory was half pisky and a mutable fay. This possibly accounted for at least some of his rackety behaviour. Linda herself was half hob, but for the first nineteen years of their lives they believed they were human.  
 By the time Jory and his tutu bundled into Linda’s van at a quarter to midnight, they’d been married for a while, so Linda’s exasperation was mostly staged. She tossed Jory out of the van…

 “Don’t be like that.” The studs on the tutu popped as he ripped it adrift. He peeled it off, hitching up to do so, and started on the tight-laced corset.
She pulled into the nearest parking spot. “Out.”
“Aw, come on.”
“Out.”
He gathered tutu, wig, shoes, wings and tiara. “You wouldn’t throw me out on the street dressed in nothing but knickers and a corset, would you?”
“You’ve still got the fishnets. Oh, and just watch me.”
 “Fine.” He got out.
Linda pulled away from the kerb, the breeze of her passing ruffling her erstwhile passenger’s tutu, and drove off. In the rear-view mirror, she saw the abandoned figure heave up his bundle of costume and start plodding along the road.
“Three, two, one.”
Blink.
The man was gone. So predictable.
Of course, Linda relented… just in time for the last chapter. She drove round the block and picked him up.

“What have you done with your tutu? And why a tutu, anyway? And why the sudden exit from whatever decadent event you were at?”
“The tutu is on the back seat. I wore it because a chap wished for a fairy in a tutu. The sudden exit was because his girlfriend came into the party unexpectedly. You should have seen his face.”
“I can imagine. Put it on right now. Forget the fishnets.”
Jory snapped his fingers and resumed the tutu.
“Where is the corset?”
“The corset is safe. Would I let anything happen to the corset?”
“Why the corset?”
“It’s been feeling unoccupied of late. I was showing it some love.”
“Really. I take it Mum’s looking after Laura?”

Jory might be rackety, but Linda at least knew their daughter was somewhere safe… which was just as well, as, having acquired a Vouch-Safe voucher, Jory had plans for what remained of the night.

“Courting cake notwithstanding, I am not getting into a spa with a chap in a tutu.”
“That’s easily sorted. You can get in with a chap out of a tutu, and we’ll have some fun with the soap.”
“Mmm…I like that plan. Give me that voucher.”

Jory’s pink tutu appears in the first and last chapters of Pisky Business.


About the Blog

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, anthologist and reader. You can find you way into her maze of websites and blogs via the portal here.(Sally is me, by the way.)

The goal for 2017 was to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. 2017 is well behind us, but I ran out of year before running out of books. As of May 2018 I STILL hadn't run out of books, but many of those still to come are MIA by which I mean I don't have copies and remember little about them. There are more new books in the pipeline, and I'm certainly showcasing those, but in between times, I'm profiling some of my characters, places and objects. Thank you so much to everyone who's come along on this journey so far!

About the Blog

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, anthologist and reader. You can find you way into her maze of websites and blogs via the portal here.(Sally is me, by the way.)
The goal for 2017 was to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. 2017 is well behind us, but I ran out of year before running out of books. As of May 2018 I STILL hadn't run out of books, but many of those still to come are MIA by which I mean I don't have copies and remember little about them. There are more new books in the pipeline, and I'm certainly showcasing those, but in between times, I'm profiling some of my characters, places and objects. Thank you so much to everyone who's come along on this journey so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading