Saturday 30 June 2018

Titles for Teg

Titles for Teg Names and Naming Post 15 


When I started writing the Fairy in the Bed series, I dealt with just one kind of fay. As
the series expanded, I brought in more. To justify having them different (they're all fay or fairies, but many of them categorise themselves beyond that) I came up with naming systems to suit each group.
Part of the fun, if not making up the names from scratch, lies in adapting existing names and finding enough that fit recognisably into a culture.

The teg haven't featured a great deal in the Fairy in the Bed series yet. Teg, like braefolk, are similar to humans in appearance. They often have dark hair and dark eyes and tend to be quiet. Much of their talent lies in music and a lot of them work in the arts.

The only named teg to appear so far are Seren Starsinger, an ancestor of Eileen o’ the Mist who is otherwise leprechaun, and Eileen’s manifestation, Elen, who is pure teg and who fancies leprechauns. A teg girl dances with Roderick Skipton at the midsummer ball. Her name, although not given in that book, is Owena Darkeyes. Like the leprechauns, teg use surnames of convenience, which they choose themselves. Some of them adopt a family name, but others choose something more poetic.

The Fairy in the Bed series is showcased at Larksinger while the books can be purchased from the publisher.

About the Blog

Sally is Sally Odgers; author, anthologist and reader. You can find you way into her maze of websites and blogs via the portal here.(Sally is me, by the way.)

The goal for 2017 was to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. 2017 is well behind us, but I ran out of year before running out of books. As of June 2018 I STILL hadn't run out of books, but many of those still to come are MIA by which I mean I don't have copies and remember little about them. There are more new books in the pipeline, and I'm certainly showcasing those, but in between times, I'm profiling some of my characters, places and objects. Thank you so much to everyone who's come along on this journey so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading